A few things. New Zealand internet works in such a way that it charges for amount used (tabs open, downloads, photo uploads), not time used, so we've had to cut back... this is why no photos.
A couple notable camping trips have occurred.
A couple weeks ago it was Mavora Lakes for some kayaking and hellish bushwhacking excursions. Of course, scenes from Lord of the Rings were filmed here. We re-enacted some. I also faked a strained ankle on the bushwhack because I am NOT a troubled youth that needs character re-alignment. Assume as much. Anyway, I was worried the program director would be mad at me so I kept it a secret from everyone for a good, um, 4 days until I told Christina. Then I found out everyone else also thought the whole trip was miserable, wet, cold and that my 'injury' was hilarious.
Milford Sound day trip. This should be on everyone's bucket list. Worth the trip here itself. Breathtaking. Dolphins playing around the bow of the boat for at least half an hour. Forests. Craggy cliffs and mountains. Bliss.
Today we got back from a 3-day-er to the Remarkables ski area near Queenstown. Remarkable, although I still do not understand the allure of hiking. I quizzed the most outdoorsy of outdoorsy folk on the trip but still do not have a clear answer. My knees and quads are burned and shot out. I know, lack of gratitude strikes again. While on the trip, a girl in the group fractured her ankle and had to be flown out via helicopter. Politics is complicated and ultimately fruitless (I still admire the ground on which Michelle O walks), but socialized health care when you're playing abroad in New Zealand and have a minor injury here and there... is AWESOME. Helicopter ride through gorgeous mountain canyons, gratis? I was contemplating another injury fake!
Maybe more remarkable is the shower after the three days of the sweat/chill/repeat process in two sets of thermals.
or
that my dad created a Facebook for himself while I was away? Yes, the Henry we know and love! (HA!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Milford Sound looks breathtakingly beautiful. Im grievously jealous. I think i'll take your advice and add it to the bucket list.
ReplyDelete